Before the 1900’s. there were small collections of books in the churches and the eight small schools in the Bolton area, and that functioned as the libraries for the town. In 1899, Dr. Rogers hired Tubbs Hall to be used as the Town Library. Tubbs Hall was located on the second floor of a building that was located just north of the Indian Tepee. Membership in the reading room cost one dollar per year. One hundred dollars was requested from the State of New York for the purchase of new books, and the Town of Bolton also donated one hundred dollars.
On December 19, 1901, the Bolton Free Library was granted a provisional charter to serve the 900 residents of Bolton. The Commissioner of Education, Andrew Draper, signed this charter. The trustees of the Library Board were Rev. Dwight Parce, Robert Taylor, John Taber, and Robert Cardle.
In June 1903, bids were let for the library building and foundation. The existing records show that the trustees spoke to C. R. Congers, the property owner, when the bids were received. A bond and mortgage of unknown sums were obtained from Mr. Congers for the plot of land measuring 60 by 65 feet, where the library stands today. Research has not been able to determine who the architect was, what the cost of the building was, or the amount of the mortgage. Donations were sought, and many fundraisers were held. Those included card parties, pancake suppers, and rummage sales. There was 80 dollars raised from a dramatic entertainment – but we do not have any details for that entertainment. By 1904, the library of 1000 square feet was relocated to its new building. Records from 1905 show that the cement walkway cost 25 dollars, and a wood-burning stove cost 24 dollars and 85 cents.
In 1910, the first official librarian, Etta Ingraham was hired. And many others followed through the years. Megan Baker has been the director since 1981.